Thursday, May 1, 2014

fashion for life, not for waste



April 28th, 2014
Thrift Chic Challenge; presented by Value Village
 
The challenge:
Three stylist are given $500.00 from thrift retailer Value Village and are then expected to create ten fashion forward outfits using only clothing found in a Value Village retail location.
 
The contestants:
- Hey Jude
- Ghazel Elhaei
- Jerome Insorio
 
68 Pound Challenge; presented by Value Village
Challenge two:
 
Fact: 68lbs is the average amount of clothing a single person throws away in 1 year
 
The contestant is challenged to take 68lbs of materials (clothing and/or found material) from Value Village. They are then expected to rework the materials found into a new fashion forward clothing collection.
 
The contestant:
- Young Oak; Tammy Jo
 
 
 
--- As volunteer staff and 'right hand woman'  to one of the chosen stylist for Eco Fashion Week(Jerome Insorio),  I got to see first hand behind the scenes at the show on Monday April 28th, and let me say... it was flawless. From hair and makeup (La Biosthetique) to sound, music and lighting it appeared to be an overall very organized and stress free environment.
The staff involved with Eco Fashion Week were all very kind, warm and welcoming. They were constantly checking on the hair and makeup team, the stylists, the models and the volunteers. I also got to meet Tony Ell, the Fashion Department Manager with Eco Fashion Week and let me tell you... he sure has a sense of humour! Right after I met him, I asked where I could find water for the steamer. Tom started telling me how they were eco friendly steamers... and well he managed to make it through with a straight face. My friend Jerome and I just stared at him with blank looks on our faces, until Tom's straight face turned into a smile and we all had a good laugh.
 
I was lucky enough to know and work with Jerome Insorio who was chosen as one of the stylists to show that night. From line ups, to last minute style change ups I was there for it all. Tape, scissors, needles and thread were in my hands all night helping with last minute mishaps and final touches. Jerome had an incredible vision which he was able to implement with the help of his friend Pearl and the La Bios team. Jerome went with more of a neutral palette, as he wanted to show all that Value Village had to offer. "Most people think of dark grunge, and I wanted to show the lighter side." he would say when asked about his chosen collection.  After the show, Jerome and I made it into the hall to find a glass of vino and I can't count on one hand the amount of people that stopped him to tell him "Jerome, yours was our favourite."  or "What location did you find those at?"  or " I never would of even thought to go in that direction." or "I need to now go shopping and fill my closet with nudes for the season." or "That was amazing." There was also a number of people (including myself) asking for items from the collection. Jerome was so personable and ensured he introduced me to everyone who introduced themselves to him. I am so proud of my friend and classmate and I look forward to seeing what he will continue to accomplish in his life.
 
Below I have attached a number of photos from behind the scenes of Jerome Insorio's show as well as the 68lbs challenge from the Monday night show;  
 
 
 



Last minute fix up

Trying on shoes


Hair and Makeup

Relaxing before the show

Touch up's

Jerome accessorising



Checking the model line up

Behind stage







Jerome's face before heading out for final walk

Jerome's final walk *via back stage TV
Red Carpet


 

 
 

68lb challenge




Taking some time for social media during the show



LOVE THIS



LOVE THIS



Jerome's WISH LIST



Branding at its finest

LOVE THIS


LOVE THIS


Made from the flip side of a blanket



Some well deserved vino post show




The weekend also had many sponsors, including but not limited to the ones you see below:

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
A huge thank you to Eco Fashion Week and Value Village for making this happen. You opened not only my eyes, but hundreds of others to the things that can be done with re-used and thrifted clothing, accessories, and materials.
 
 
"fashion for life, not for waste"
 
 
xo
K.

 
People and places in this post:
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I am very impressed with your work! Any chance we can connect? I am available through www.bostongreenfest.org.

    ReplyDelete